Tuesday, May 29, 2007

To H.H. the Dalai Lama

Mumbai; May 29, 2007

Your Holiness,

On 10th of May, I had written an open letter to you. I strongly felt about the issue of mass conversion of tribes, nomads and illiterate poor Indian population in the faith of Buddhism. An event was to be organized in Mumbai on May 27th, where as the organizers claimed, more than one lakh Hindus including 1000 nomadic tribes families were to embrace Buddhism. I requested you from my heart not to be part of this event. The request came from my heart and was unadulterated.

I had your postal address (in Himachal Pradesh), but I didn't post it. Somehow, I had a feeling that I should not post it. The feeling was similar to the feeling when we wish something very deeply from God. We don't register our wish in any book, or get a receipt for our prayers at a temple. We wish, we ask Him and we know He has known.

I was eagerly waiting for the event to take place on May 27th. The next morning, I eagerly opened the newspaper. I came to know that you didn't attend that mass conversion which was being lauded as the largest mass conversion in India. I came to know that you even didn't attend the two days international conference on Buddhism and World Peace, which was organized to mark the conversion of Dr. Ambedkar into Buddhism.

I was touched and I can't explain the satisfaction in me when I saw this news report today: (Link: https://www.lankaeverything.com/vinews/srilanka/20070527004024.php?PHPSESSID=cea0605e5193ec72828bc0bf7d4beacd )

But the two-day fete, which included an international conference on `Buddhism and World Peace,’ did not start on a grand scale as the spiritual leader Dalai Lama did not turn up to inaugurate it. That, however, did not dampen the spirit of the monks. In his message, the Dalai Lama said conversion to the Buddhist faith was not so important as were efforts to change society.

Your message conversion to the Buddhist faith is not so important as are efforts to change society has touched me deeply. I feel you answered my prayers. No one can be more specific than this. Your message not only answered to the points that I raised in my letter, but also it explains your stand over the issue. Please bless those people also who see politics in the religious conversions, as you have blessed me. With my heartfelt regards.

Yours in peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment