Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Union & Rail budget of Modi Sarkar 2015-16

My opinion on the Union & Rail budget of Modi Sarkar: 

Though I am a Modi fan, initially I was a bit disappointed. I knew people had very high hopes for Govt and the budget did not keep up to it - I would accept it since I can't be dishonest with myself. But then I thought about the true purpose of the 'budget' and why it had come down to 'give relief to public' rather than planning and scheduling of Govt's financial activities, which it should actually mean anywhere in the world. 

Govt needs money and hence it taxes those of us who are comfortable to pay. Govt needs money so that it can spend on nation building, infrastructure, universities, hospitals, roads, etc, which ultimately is for people of India. 

But what the Cong govts were doing in the past were - collect the taxes and then return some of it to 'targeted voters' like religious minorities, farmers, etc, do some development work so that budget sounds like budget, and then anywhere and everywhere do big and bigger scams and ghotalas - to fill their own coffers and also fund the dynasty's coffers. People's faith in govt was shaken. Hence the salaried class public mentality was changed to- "when you are taking away so much for yourself, at least give us something!" So occasionally (not every time) some tax reliefs were given to salaried class - because in India our tax rates are very high. People expected the same (tax reliefs) to be carried forward by Modi Sarkar. But then we wanted govt to do nation building which needs money and did not expect govt to do scams and scandals! 

So I am still happy if my money which Govt collects as taxes is not "given back to me in part" in the form of sops, freebies and tax reliefs - because I know that my money (tax collection) is in "safe hands"; my govt is "honest" (does not do scams); and it will utilize the tax collection in budgetary allocations towards national building! After all, this is what the role of Govt is supposed to be! Hence I don't mind if my govt is not being populist enough... Now we shall all wait to see how the actual work happens on the ground in the next years...

No comments:

Post a Comment